Tuesday, October 15, 2013

A Monster Nursery Design for Mommy's Little Monster!

So.   I was bored (as it so happens!) with the generic nursery style that is typical.  I had nicknamed my son "monster" because he was so big, and is so much fun.  My husband and I agreed to re-do his nursery in a monster theme, since we both loved his nickname.  Problem was, I couldn't find anything!!! That I loved.  Every style and theme did not fit his personality or ours.  SO I decided to create it!  If you can't sew (like me) don't give up! Just find someone who can! That's what I did!! And not all of it needed to be sewn together.

I did not sew this!!
I bought a bunch of felt pieces, and cut it out in monster shapes, teeth, mouth, eyes, all of it.



I bought a stool from Michael's, painted it and she added the monsters according to what I asked.  She did an amazing job!!

 Stencil work!


 Blanket:  We bought Fleece, and again my artist friend drew the monster and cut it out.  My mom sewed it all together, but the back is four even squares of the red, green, orange (it's orange, even if the lighting is poor), and blue.  This thing is HUGE so I suggest making it to the size you see fit.  We like big blankets in this family!
 My mom found these at Michael's for 1$ a piece.  I just pinned them to the wall.  If you want to make them yourself, felt and vinyl cut in the shapes you desire :)
 His mobile.  To make this, I cut out in starburst pattern a variety of colors, and made them stiff (STARCH) and used ribbon to sew them in pieces apart.  I then sewed the monster in separate pieces til they balanced them out. And yes I hand-sewed them!
 Embroidery machines are amazing!
 Better pictures of the mobile

 My husband getting creative with the glue gun, making the mobile look its best
 We glued dowel sticks to the backs of the felt monsters, and hung them with ribbon. 
And Voila! A beautiful monster-themed room!  We also created pillows with the left-over fleece that spelled out his name :)

No comments:

Post a Comment